February 28, 2020, 06:34:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Forum News
We welcome all Tom Keenan's Fans!
Please welcome Davy, our newest member.
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Sponsors
The only music shop specialized in Tom Keenan's music:
Virtual Music Shop
Do You Want To See Your Advert Here?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tommy 1980 to 1983  (Read 6279 times)
Martyn Hill
Tom fan
Talking Member

« on: September 03, 2007, 02:19:13 PM »

Hi to all of Tommys fans.
My name is Martyn and I was one of Tommys first bass players. Tommy and I both lived in Aylesbury, Bucks, UK and he worked as a painter and decorator during the day at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. In the evenings he ran a country and western band called Bucks County.
I joined Tommy in 1980 after replying to an advert for a dep. bass player in the local paper. Having just left a pop/disco band I answered the door wearing a red silk bomber jacket, yellow t-shirt, trousers and shoes. On my doorstep, staring at me in amazement, were two cowboys! Nobody told me it was a country and western band!!! I still got the gig and continued playing with him for three years. It was the start of a great friendship and many memorable gigs! I soon invited my pop band drummer to join, as I was having such a good time.
Tommy and I became close as friends as well as musicians and he soon had me rolling with laughter at his seemingly endless fund of anecdotes about his life before becoming a musician. If you ever get the chance, ask him to tell you about his life in Shepherds Bush and especially about the gentian violet incident!
I still remember the last time I saw Tommy. I owned a music shop in Aylesbury and he came to show me his first album which had just been pressed and I had contributed to musically. He was both happy and sad as he had just got his first professional international engagement in, I believe, Israel, and was leaving right then. He'd always wanted to be a professional singer but it did mean leaving everything behind and I remember watching him driving away with all his belongings in his car and wondering if I would ever see or hear from him again.
Tommy gave me some of the funniest times of my life and I will never forget him. If anybody reads this and speaks to Tommy please ask him to contact me through this message board as I would love to speak to him again.
catherine larkham
Tom fan
Talking Member

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 03:45:34 PM »

Hi Martyn.
I have known Tommy for at least 22 years when I go out to Tenerife, I agree he is a good tale teller. I,m going out there on the 7th Sep I will pass on your regards and you name, will let you know on my return
Cath Cheesy
Mags
Tom fan
Good Talking Member

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:05:01 PM »

Hi Martyn,

Nice to hear from you.  Great story, have you got any more for us?  How about some old photo's?

Have a great holiday Catherine and don't forget to tell us all your news when you return. Cheers
Davidbing
Tom fan
Talking Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 02:07:01 PM »

Hi Martyn,

Have been a fan of Tom's for some 16 years. I was introduced to him in Tenerife by my cousin who met him when he first arrived on the island. Jut Tom and his guitar and 74. A taxi driver conned him out of 34 taking him to the north of the island after Tom asked him to take im to the town with the most bars. So he slept on the beach and scraped along with the help of a local cafe owner who fed him a sandwich and a coffee each lunch time.

As someone has already said. have you any more stories or old photo's to post especially important noe Tom has gone.

Thanks
David
Nashville
Talking Member

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

I have just found this site after all these years.  We first saw Tommy in the Spinnaker In & really enjoyed his singing.  Each year we returned he was always in a different venue, with more in his band. We went twice  year for 14 year. If he saw us on the street he used to stop & give us a lift, if he was going our way..It is sad that he is no longer with us all.  He always made our holiday just perfect.

Nashville (Glasgow)  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsors
The only music shop specialized in Tom Keenan's music:
Virtual Music Shop
Do You Want To See Your Advert Here?

Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

Weather in Tenerife Sur - Seven day weather forecast and Current Conditions.
The Weather in South Tenerife

This is the weather forecast for today and tomorrow in South Tenerife.

If you click on the image you will find the next seven days weather forecast.

Weather by Meteored.com

Make a Donation!
EUR
Many hours have been spent writing and updating this site.

If it helped you out, donations are a great way of saying "Thanks!"